Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Kelsie's awesome fajita burritos

I ate these almost everyday for probably a month for lunch. That's how much I like them! So good, meatless but tons of protein. The meat eaters in my life even like them and George said he even craved them once.

Kelsie's wicked awesome fajita burritos

Ingredients:
Onion
1-3 garlic cloves (depends on personal preference)
Bell pepper (any color you like) or handful of colorful sweet peppers
Mushrooms
Fresh asparagus (optional but super yummy!)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can corn, drained
Cheese (I like pepper jack on mine)
Tomato
Lettuce (I usually use romaine hearts shredded into small stripes)
Fresh ranch (I like Atwoods) or sour cream if you'd prefer that.
Tortillas (I buy the frozen raw ones and cook them when I'm ready for them. Super yum!)
Salt and pepper
Olive oil
Fajita seasoning
Chili powder

Optional: Broccoli, peas, you could probably add carrots...that I've never tried. My favorite optional is by far the asparagus.


Coat the pan with oil and saute peppers, onions, and pieces of fresh asparagus. I like my peppers and onions in strips instead of diced. Add salt and pepper. (Make sure to do this as you go, it flavors all layers as you go and makes your food taste so much better!) Add mushrooms when onions and peppers are about halfway to tender add mushrooms. Add minced garlic. When mushrooms look perfect add the cans of corn and beans.

**F.Y.I.: In case you didn't know, beans and corn (same with beans and rice) combined are a significant source of protein, meaning no meat is needed in this dish. It's not even missed because it's very tasty and very filling because of the protein**


(These pictures don't have the asparagus, I didn't have any this day)


Veggies ready for beans and corn:



After beans and corn were added:


Once the beans and corn are added it's time to season the veggies. I use liberal amounts of Fajita seasoning because it's very good and a fair amount of chili powder. Add salt and pepper if the veggies still need some.


Spices used:


At this point you are just waiting for the beans and corn to get warmed all the way through. Add cheese to cover the top and remove from heat. Cover and let the cheese melt. By the time the cheese is melted the beans will be warm.



Warm the tortillas (or cook them if they are raw) and add filling. Top with tomatoes, lettuce and either ranch or sour cream!

Okay, so I completely spaced taking a picture of the finished product all in the tortilla. Next time I make them I'll be sure to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails