Monday, May 2, 2011
Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
(Recipe courtesy of food.com)
1 1/2 cups ripe bananas, mashed
2 tsp lemon juice
3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter, softened to room temperature
2 1/8 cups sugar
3 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Optional: Walnuts for a garnish
1. Preheat oven to 275 (seems low, I know)
2. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan
3. In a small bowl, mix mashed banana with lemon juice, set aside
4. In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside
5. In a large bowl, cream 3/4 cup butter and 2 1/8 sugar until light and fluffy
6. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in 2 tsp vanilla
7. Beat in the flour mixture alternating with the buttermilk
8. Stir in banana mixture
9. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
10. Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes.
11. For the frosting, cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
12. Beat in 1 tsp vanilla
13. Add powdered sugar and beat on low speed until combined, then on high until frosting is smooth.
14. Spread on cooled cake.
15. Sprinkle chopped walnuts over the top of the frosting if desired.